Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slow build basement

Posted by apdnj (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 8:41

Has anyone started a basement finishing project over say a 3-5 year plan, a sort of a few things per year as money becomes available?

How does this work with permits, does the municipality make you finish it to tax you within a year or so?

I would like to hire different contractors for specific work, is this ok rather than one contractor for entire project?

Any basement designers you can recommend in south or central NJ that can come up with a custom design without committing to the entire work to completion. I want a fantastic one of a kind design but would like to do it in stages as finances allow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slow build basement

Different jurisdictions have different policies. You'll want to check with whoever issues permits in your area and be prepared with drawings of the proposed project, especially any demolition or structural aspects.
You may only need to have the electrician get a permit for his/her work and the plumber another, though if you are adding one or more bedrooms, it can be decidedly more involved.

o
RE: Slow build basement

I don't believe many municipalities are going to issue multi-year permits for something like a basement, although as Randy suggested you may be able to break it into the various stages.

Talk to your build code folks and see what they have to say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here