Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hatchway doors

Posted by arichard21 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 07 at 8:17

i went to HD saturday to find out about getting a new hatchway door for the basement. the guy hardly knew what i was talking about.

heres my question. what is the "standard" size for a double hatchway door? and is it common to see where the conrete is sloped down at an angle with a flat door as opposed to flat concrete with a angled door?

i despretly need to find a door... opening is 48" w x 86" long.

if i cant find a pre made steel door, is theere a way i can make one from PT wood that will stop all water from getting in?

i will take a picture of it later and post it here.

right now, i only have 1/2 plywood covering it, as there was no door there before and someone had put tin roofing material there to TRY to stop the water, but it didnt really stop much.

the whole stairway down there is a horrible mess! i have my work cut out for me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hatchway doors

Go to gordoncelladoor dot com.

They have both types of doors that you're inquiring about. (Sloped and flat surface installation.)

Once you've identified the components you need, go to HD and order them. They show which measurements to make. As in, if your opening itself is 48' but the outside dimension including the walls is 56', then the RD-3 would fit @ 52' wide. Then, determine whether you need the RD-3 with a 12' extension or an 18' extension to match the necessary length. Now that you know the the components, (RD-3 and whichever extension, your trip to HD will be much more productive.)

You could also try www.bilco.com
They are another brand that you can get either through HD or Lowes or another local retailer. They're a bit more expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gordon Cellar Doors

o

any ideas on how i can build some doors out of PT wood? the prefab units are a little more than expected.

o

Did you price out Gordon? They were about half of what Bilco was for my door.

The problem with wood is that it will sag and you'll have to seal it. To prevent it from sagging, you'd need framing. If you make doors with frames, they're going to be too heavy to lift. It's hard to beat fiberglass or metal for the application.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here