Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rain water diversion

Posted by gwa17 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 8:05

we have 4ft over hangs on our house and would like to divert rain water away from our basement walls. I saw a TOH segment with a plastic trough that they put in the ground under the drip line. It was about 10 inches deep, a foot wide and came in 12ft lengths. They buried it and filled it with stone. It was made of a plastic material and it diverted the rain water away from the house to lower ground. It would be perfect for my application. I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know the name of this or a similar product? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rain water diversion

I haven't seen a trough product that wide, but this product is what I'd use:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24139-124-HDPFI040100&lpage=none

Dig a trench, line it with a geotextile fabric (they make a sleeve product as well to replace the fabric), add some stone, put the pipe in, more stone, wrap the fabric over the top, cover with dirt. Slop the trench and pipe away from the house to a low area and then install one of these at the end of the run:

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u252863 (at one time, I saw them at Lowe's, but I don't see them now)

Don't be afraid to rent a trencher if you're putting in a lot of this.

o

thanks for the info.A few years ago I dug the trench,by hand and with a backhoe.. put in landscape cloth. I then put in 2inches of gravel , the pipe you suggested with perforations and then covered it with gravel. the pipe came with a cloth sock that stops sand etc from getting in. I works some, but when water really pours off the roof, the trench gets water logged and water begins to soak into the adjacent ground. Then it finally works its way into the cellar. The trough I saw on TOH wouldn't allow any water to seep into the ground..but I can't locate it...

o

How about getting some large drainage pipe (like the stuff that is maybe 2 foot in diameter for running under driveways or roads, then cut it in half and bury that?

o

Do you have gutters on the roof? If so, are the downspouts directing water at least eight feet away from the house? Is the ground sloped away from the house? This should all be done before you start putting in trenches! If you do the preceding and still have problems, then you should call a professional. My guess is that the recommendation will be to dig down to the foundation of the house, waterproof the house on the outside, and then add the French drain (preferably with a sump pump), to prevent further water intrusion. This is in addition to having gutters, downspouts and correct grading. Try those first; it will be less expensive than waterproofing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here