Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1919 Basement

Posted by james378 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 5:22

We just purchased a home built in 1919 the basement is laid up with stone and I am wondering about thuroseal(?).
the floor seeps very little and the walls seem dry is there anything we can do to stop the floor from seeping (very little) and the walls dry should we use an epoxy on the floor or what? Any suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1919 Basement

Sounds like you need a sump pump before you address the inside.

o
RE: 1919 Basement

Hi, I've been researching rubblestone basements for the past couple of weeks since we've purchased a brick row house built in 1873. I've learned that you have to be very careful about sealing the stone walls. The stone and mortar are designed to dissipate moisture through them and if you waterproof the inside, they may crack and crumble with the freeze/thaw cycles or just because they remain moist. Further, it is said that only the same soft lime based mortars should ever be used in conjunction with them. I'd guess your concrete floor might be newer than the original house? Anyway, concrete is a different entity...much harder and shouldn't pose the same problems. I agree, though, with the previous poster that you don't stand much of a chance of preventing the dampness unless you can correct the problem first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here