Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air entrapment holes and flaws in new basement walls

Posted by ASeacat (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 23:16

My husband and I are building a house through MI Homes in the Indianapolis area. We were quite surprised when the basement wall forms were removed, because it revealed walls that look like swiss cheese -- we were expecting them to be smooth. As shown in the picture the basement walls and the crawl space walls are covered in holes that look like air pockets. Many of these holes are big and deep. I posted all of the photos of this issue on my Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ANNASEACAT/photos/p/pub In general, the basement walls look rough. The contractor is saying that it's "probably cosmetic." Our problem with that comment is that cosmetic issues can be an indication of deeper quality and integrity problems. What does everyone think? Is this what poured basement walls should look like?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures of MI Homes Basement walls

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air entrapment holes and flaws in new basement walls

Here is what the mandatory government Construction Performance Guidelines (large PDF) I work under have to say on the matter:

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, May 5, 14 at 9:36

o

Try the "Building a Home" forum.

o

That looks like normal concrete out of the form. The vibrator sticks can't get 100% of the bubbles and voids out, especially along the forms.

If you want smooth - that's what furring strips and drywall are for, or a surface coating of cement topping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here