Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help decide a basement finishing quote fair or not

Posted by tamujun (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 22:12

Hi, I am a newbie so please forgive if this is a wrong question to ask. I have a unfinished basement that I want to renovate it to a large playroom (for kids) and a mud room. The rest of the basement will be a storage / mechanic room (will leave unfinished but needs to install a smoke detector). The to-be-finished playroom will be 12' X 26', and will be carpeted. Mud room will be 14'X6' including stairs (skirt boards and rug - half wall of the stairs will be capped by wood trim). The mud-room will be tiled. The playroom will have 8 recess lights and a few sockets, needs to install a few smoke detectors.

My contractor gave me the following quotes:

Work including framing, insolating, hanging of sheet rock, installation of trim, and painting.
Materials $ 2,330.
Labor $ 5,000.
Detailed labor cost: Labor to frame and insulate: $1,500
Hang sheetrock: $1,000
Install finish work (see below) $1,500
(doors, baseboard, skirting for stairs, window trim)
Painting: $1,000

Tape and coat sheetrock $ 1,700.
Flooring $ 2,214.
Electrical $ 1,000.

Total $ 1,2244.

I live in New Hampshire. The house is 5 years old.

Would you let me know if this quote is fair or not? My budget is really tight, and I want spend money wisely.

Thanks, I appreciate!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help decide a basement finishing quote fair or not

A few years ago when I was in the remodeling business, we were in the range of $29 to $33 per square foot for basements exclusive of flooring. So $30.61 sounds in the ballpark to me.

Of course, it's always wise to get several estimates. Just make sure they're all bidding on the same work, quality of components, etc.

o
RE: Help decide a basement finishing quote fair or not

Thanks Mike_kaiser. The info you gave is very helpful.

o
RE: price per sq ft for sheetrock and mud

Trying to get a price to sheetrock and mud a basement, walls 7280 lin ft. and 750 sq ft for 8' ceiling. would that be per sheet or sq ft

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here