Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to finish a basement?

Posted by chowdahsoup (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 21:56

I've been trying to get quotes on finishing our basement. No plumbing, just adding walls to complete a nearly 1000 square foot rectangle into 3 separate rooms: laundry, workout & family room. Complete framing and drywall, drop ceiling, no flooring, but some electrical including lights and plugs as well as finishing the stairs.

I was completely surprised to hear it would take our first bidder 6 weeks (he would be working by himself). How long did it take you to finish your basements? I am having a hard time getting anyone to return my phone calls so I have nothing to compare to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to finish a basement?

I've renoed plenty of basements. One pro working six real weeks could do it. After all, there's no plumbing, no tiling, drop-in ceiling.

But if you're going this route, take out all permits and do it properly. Especially the wiring. Drywall and carpentry is one thing. Wiring is completely another. And just because the receptacles and switches work, doesn't mean they're done right.

o

Not knowing the entire scope of your project, 6 weeks sounds in the ball park for one guy. The problem with working alone is there are many things that take more than twice as long as with two guys.

"Some electrical" has me a little concerned. I don't know who is doing the work but you want to make sure he is up to snuff on the current codes. Otherwise it can come back to haunt you.

o

Thanks for the information. I hope to find someone who's willing to share the work.

No worries, I will be getting a permit for everything as well as a separate electrician. I only mentioned the electrical to show the scope of the work as minimal, nothing fancy like many basements I read about here on GW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here