Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
microxl

Basement Slab Problem

microxl
15 years ago

My five year old basement floor developed a network of cracks as it cured leaving the appearance of many islands of cement. In the process they all moved up or down to one degree or another leaving the floor "looking" level to the eye. When I place a 3'straight edge across the cracks in some places it's fine but in others it rocks from end to end.

My plan was to put down Platon by Armtec (the same material as on the bottom of DriCore) and then assemble laminate flooring upon it. Incidentally, this CAN be done as stated in the Armtec literature. No OSB or ply is required. When I rolled out the Platon (with landscape fabric under it) the Platon became wavey in areas and would not lie flat due to the unlevel slab. Laminate would not take kindly to this situation. So, I have rolled up all my materials and am back at square one.

I have read on DIY sites where people recommend using leveling compound. The problem is that when you read the labels, NONE of it is recommended for below grade use IOW

basements.

Is sanding down the joints of my cement islands an option? What kind of sanders are out there? Are there any other tactics that I could use?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm