Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this estimate reasonable to remove water under house?

Posted by daven (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 17:15

We have developed standing water under our crawl space. Our house is in NC in a humid area. We have a pair of dehumidifiers under the house to reduce the moisture level.

When we had the situation evaluated, the company stated that we did not need fans venting the crawl space outward and that because the vents had not been well sealed we were running the dehumidifiers too hard.

They proposed:
250 linear feet of french drain along inside footers
3/4 hp sump pump
6 mil vapor barrier
150 ft. drainage pipe to outside drainage ditch
24 new foundation vents and sealing of vents

The work is expected to take 2 days to complete. The initial estimate was $6780. When he saw our jaws drop, the estimate was reduced to $6,200.
Is this in the ballpark for this type of job? Should it solve the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this estimate reasonable to remove water under house?

What I don't get is, why are they putting vents in and then sealing them?

o

They have to remove the existing vents to get the rock under the house.I assume that they will be ruined by removal and need replacement.

I've checked in the yellow pages and I can't find a category for companies that do this kind of work. I'd like to get another estimate or some guidance.

o

If I may ask:

where is the water coming from, up from the ground or the humid air?

what kind of floor does the crawl space have, concrete, dirt,...?

o

I believe that the ground is the predominant source. We have sandy/clay soil covered by a 4 mil vapor barrier.

o

If it is ground water the first four items on your list should take care of it. On the last item, the vents, I hesitate because if you run dehumidifiers you should seal the area. If you have vents you should insulate the floor and not run dehumidifiers.

Doesn.t do any good to run air conditioning if the door is wide open and basically thats what a dehumidifier does.

o

Vented crawlspaces are on leading building scientist Dr. Joe Lstiburek's Top Ten Dumb Things to do in the South

Here is a link that might be useful: Designing Closed Crawlspaces

o

What if you have a slab and you think there is a creek or pockets of water which shift as the ground shifts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here