Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help pls w/reality check on icing dehumidifier

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Wed, May 6, 09 at 16:34

Hi,

I have a 3-year-old Whirlpool AD70 model dehumidifier that's supposed to have a de-icer to keep it from icing up. (At least, the manual uses that term). With this model, I have settings for Humidity=Normal and Fan=Auto: it is supposed to shut off when it hits 'normal' humidity.

A few days ago, I noticed that it was never shutting off (which is new) and no water was collecting, so I went to take the filter out, thinking maybe it was dirty, and found that there was a whole block of ice over the coils.

I let it melt, and then did a test today:
- Thermometer in the basement reads 60 degrees F.
- Ran dehumidifier on Normal/Auto setting
- Fan seems to be going, as air is blowing out of the side vents of the machine.
- Left it for an hour, came back, and there's a block of ice around the coils.

While I know it is 3 years old, I thought I'd get at least one more year out of it. It's been a great machine up to this current problem. I'll have to check, but I think there's a 5 year warranty on "sealed" parts. However, I don't know if the de-icer would be considered one of those parts if it is broken.

Is there anything else that you know of that I can try out or test out before calling the 1-800 number?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help pls w/reality check on icing dehumidifier

If this is the ultra-low temp model AD70USR, it shouldn't be happening. Could be poor airflow.

Ordinarily, dehumidifiers shouldn't be used below 65˚F..

o

Hi worthy, thanks so much for that link. It had more details than some other places I found on the Web.

It is model AD70USS0. It has "Control Type 3" according to the manual, and the minimum operating temperature is 38 degrees F. The manual says it has an automatic deicer that will shut off the compressor and allow the fan to run to reduce ice buildup on the coils.

So, sigh. One of the components must have failed. It's been such a workhorse that I hope it's a simple fix.

I just checked the warranty sheet--it says a 5 year limited warranty on the "sealed system", which includes the compressor, evaporator, condensor, etc. So, I guess this means a call to the 1-800 number. :-/

o

One of mine did that .. I fiddled with it for several days and ended up unplugging it for about a week before trying again and it has worked perfect since. Im thinking it never really did defrost or dry out completely until it sat for a long time with no power.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here