Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whole House Dehumidifier Worth the Money?

Posted by marlowe55 (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 15:20

I've just moved into a large 1892 Victorian with a large, partially finished basement. The basement definitely has big water problems -- after heavy rains, water pools along one side of the house. Some areas at the back of the basement are always wet (the basement is really huge, and has a number of separated, musty dungeon-like areas.) I know I have a big job ahead of me to get the place dry. As a first step, I'm thinking about a dehumidifier.

In my previous house, I ran a Kenmore with a supplementary pump, and thought that worked well. In this instance, would it really be worth it to spend $1500-$2000 for a whole house unit, like a Santa Fe, or to hire a basement waterproofing contractor to install a big unit (such as the Basement Systems relabeled Santa Fe). I suppose it might even be a good idea to run ventilation ducts to some of the wettest parts of the basement.

But I can't find anything on the web that really analyzes the pros and cons here. One waterproofing contractor I spoke to argued that the better energy efficiency and higher dehumidification capacity of a big system make it a worthwhile investment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whole House Dehumidifier Worth the Money?

have you found the water entry problem areas?

i did find this site but it wasn't opening for me... hope you have better luck, and it provides some answers...

don't forget to post over at hgtv, too...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.consumersearch.com/dehumidifier-reviews/compare

o
RE: Whole House Dehumidifier Worth the Money?

See Building Science Corp. link below.

Dehumidification is not designed to remove standing water. That is a separate problem from the typical need for basement dehumidification in hot and humid climates. If your basement is larger than two thousand feet, you may get best results with two dehumidifiers. First, try one and set it at 50% RH or lower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Dehumidification

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here