Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stopping the Seepage

Posted by uncledave_ct (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 15:16

Hi all,

I have a 1965 Colonial that was built without footing drainage. The homes in this area were built upon crushed stone with no drain tile. I have a constant dampness around the floor/wall joint. Very seldom do I get any actual water trickling in; if I do, it comes in mostly around the bulkhead. I do have a sump pump that runs often. I really cannot afford to have the foundation excavated to have drain tile installed, so I need a less expensive option.

I have 3 downspouts that empty about 20 feet from the house, but the ground upon which they empty is sloped toward the house. I'm thinking of emptying them into pipes underground and running them to daylight downhill from the house.

Also, the back yard slopes toward the house until it gets to within 20 - 30 feet, at which point it slopes up gently again until it meets the foundation. This "swale" gets full of water during a heavy rain and actually becomes a shallow brook. I'm thinking the ground is becoming saturated and the water is finding its way toward the bulkhead. My question: would I do well to have drain tile installed at the low spot of the swale and have it exit to daylight at a low spot (away from the house)? Would this be able to handle enough water to prevent that area from becoming saturated, and help the basement seepage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stopping the Seepage

Excellent ideas.

Footing drainage is useless unless you have a place to drain the water to. Sounds like your house is sitting in a pool and the less water you dump in there the lower the level will go.

Good luck. Hank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here