Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement plumbing

Posted by nooning (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 14:37

I had the bathroom "roughed" in when i had my home built 4 years ago.
Now I had the basement finished and it was discovered at that time that the builders and plumbers at that time did not provide drainage for the bathroom.
I have been told I need the sewage ejector pump, because my current plumbing is on on the wall.
They did put a hole in the ground for the ejector pump and have a white plastic tube stuck in it.
Was this proper for the builders & plumbers ? Or should one expect when they have a bathroom roughed in, that it would have included the sewage ejector pump?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement plumbing

As a builder I've roughed-in basement baths. What rough-in included was all the piping and venting to where the fixtures could be located. I wouldn't consider an injector pump to be part of a rough-in, though that could have been spelled out more clearly.

o

As a Plumber I can tell you first hand that it makes perfect sense to install the under slab piping, ejector vessel pit and the dedicated vent during the rough in stage but it would be foolish to install the sewage ejector pump until it is actually needed.

Keep in mind that sewage ejector pumps are very expensive and the warranty clock starts ticking as soon as its installed. It would be a shame to install the pump during the rough in then 2 or 3 years later when they get around to finishing the bathroom they discover the pump has seized up and there is no warranty.

o

Nope. I wouldn't expect an ejector pump to be included in a "rough-in" any more than I would a faucet or toilet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here