Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mobgirl86_gw

costs of raising up a house? (long island, NY)

mobgirl86
14 years ago

Hi. I'm interested in purchasing a house that has no crawl space, no basement. I was told by the realtor that the house at one point flooded with 4 feet of water. The house is in a bay area in Island Park, NY. The price is reasonable but I have no idea the costs associated with adding a foundation or raising a house up. Does anyone have any advice or ideas of the costs? It's a small house, the lot is only 40x50, a very small 3bdrm "cottage". Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment (1)

• worthy
    14 years ago

Foundation and raising are two different things. But if you want to raise it four feet above grade, you'll have to go at least four feet into the ground--maybe a lot more with widespread footings or pipe pilings since it's sand everywhere. I'm sorry I can't give local costs, only that it's likely to be prohibitively expensive for a lower end property. (My mother and grandmother were both from Long Beach and I was raised my first five years there in the 1940s. I've been back many times since. But I haven't built there, just tempted by sentiment.)

If you're set on doing it, check with a local architect, designer or engineer before putting in an offer.