Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uncledave_ct

How do we handle ground water after the fact?

uncledave_ct
16 years ago

Our home was built in the mid-60's. It has a full basement, not a walk-out, that remains damp almost constantly. The footings were poured over crushed stone but there are no footing drains. I guess code in our town might not have required it back then, but I'd think it still would have been considered sound building practice to install them, right? (The builder is still in business, I have half a mind to call them up and find out why they cheaped out 40 years ago!)

Anyway, water always seems to appear around the opening to the bulkhead stairs. There is a channel cut into the surface of the concrete floor that makes its way to a sump pump which, even during dry spells, runs several times a day. Fortunately there don't appear to be any structural issues, no settling cracks or unevenness, etc. I do get trickles of water from the wall/floor joint and the tie rods whenever we get any significant rainfall. In the absence of proper footing drains, what can I do to help dry things up down under? I am on a very tight budget, but if I'm giong to tackle this, I might as well take a mighty swallow and do it right.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz