Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crawl space access door

Posted by wormmainea (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 10:04

I have a crawl space access "door" to the outside of a new addition to my home. It is about 18" high and about 30" wide. It is now convered by a piece of PT plywood that screws into PT 2x4. I access this space about quarterly, and I'm chewing by screwing into/out of it each time. I fear that the 2x4 which is nailed to the cement foundation won't lsat too long.

Any ideas on a way to have a functional access door-- can't mess up access height or width. Opening is about 4" off ground, and opens into a 4' high crawl space at the top.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crawl space access door

Install common strap hinges on the top or one side, then install a barrel bolt to hold it closed.

o
RE: Crawl space access door

Where can do you get a metal or plastic door that same size? My house addition being built & Mason left holes 24 x 30 & 20 X30 yet I can only find metal doors that are 24x 32.

Who makes these things in fiberglass or Aluminum that won't rust??? & insulated? Any ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here