Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

Basement ceiling - framing for drywall

homebound
17 years ago

In an old house I will be finishing a basement ceiling with drywall - walls are still bare, poured concrete. The owner's plan is to frame and finish the walls (perhaps themselves) at a later time. Some ceiling soffits will be installed as well.

Given that walls need to be done in the future, how/where would you end the ceiling drywall on walls where the joists run parallel to the wall (with plenty of pipe, conduit, etc packing that space). Should I just end in the center of the last joist, leaving the last gap open for the time being? Or would you somehow install supports across that last space, and finish to the wall area. There's not a lot of room to work with, and there doesn't seem an obvious place to tie in supports without getting pretty creative.

Also, the rim joist is not well insulated, so perhaps I should insist on doing that along with the ceiling project...or leave room to access that area later.

Thoughts? Thanks.

BTW, without finished walls, it seemed that ceiling max tiles weren't appropriete, since there'e basically no place to install the edge pieces (which would later have a wall frame pushed up against them.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz