Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving sump pump

Posted by hopesprings (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 7:21

We just installed an egress window and repiped some gutter run off outside our house. In the process, we found out there were no drain tiles feeding our sump pump, and consequently, we would like to relocate it. Right now, it sits in the middle of our basement, has piping that twists and turns like a Rube Goldberg puzzle, and collects run off from the furnace A/C & humidifier, our RO system, and the tankless water heater. We are finishing some of the basement and want to move it into the corner with the other utilities (water heater, water softener etc.), which would clean up a lot of piping and just work better.

How difficult is this? Can my husband do this and just fill the existing sump with concrete?

Also, we have a radon remediation system (fan), so won't we need to seal it off once the new one is dug in?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving sump pump

The floor should be pitched so that water would run to the pit. If that is so, in order to move the pump you would need to install a floor drain at that location with a drain line to the new pit.

o

It does not sound like a real sump pump.

It is being used as a condensate pump.

You are going to have to extend all the lines that empty into the pit presently to the new location.

o

lazypup...the floor is indeed pitched to the current sump and I fear drilling new drain line will be super expensive and very disruptive. Not sure it's worth it?
brickeyee...you have described it perfectly. My fear is the day we need a true sump if we move it and don't have a replacement option. But with no drain tile feeding it, the basement would have to be flooding from somewhere else, right? (windows? upper floors? something catastrophic...)

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here