Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
torquing wall anchors

Posted by anothermoneypit (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 07 at 0:58

I'm right and my husband is wrong. But I could be mistaken about that, so I would much appreciate opinions, suggestions, and even "Lady, you're crazy" comments.

Background: A 1970 ranch with full basement. Many years (probably decades) ago, one of the basement walls started bowing in. On the floor above the bowed area you can tell where the floor kind of drops down a little bit starting from the center support of the house towards the bowed wall. Not a big deal, but it's there. The original owners installed six vertical steel beams over a 47-foot wall to stabilize it. The beams are anchored in the concrete foundation and are bolted to the joists above. About two years ago, the second owners made some improvements to the house and had eight Grip-Tite earth anchors installed to help stabilize the walls better and maybe pull the wall back into place a little.

We bought the house about eight months ago and shortly thereafter cut down the huge willow oak that stood not ten feet from the bowed section of the basement wall. This summer, when the soil is at its driest, we're having the earth anchors torqued to see if we can get the wall to move a little more.

So here's my concern: It seems to me that unless we remove the bolts that tie the the vertical steel beams to the joists, it won't do any good to torque the earth anchors. Because the original vertical beams were installed after the wall bowed and after the floor settled upstairs, the beams are going to hold the floor exactly where it is now and not allow the wall to be pulled back out (and therefore up) when we torque the earth anchors. The vertical beams will be working against the torquing of the earth anchors. Make sense?

My husband got a panicked look on his face when I made the suggestion. I think he thinks our basement wall might collapse. I say hogwash! The vertical beams were just the first attempt to stabilize the wall--the earth anchors are doing the job now.Two of the vertical steel beams aren't even touching the basement wall since the earth anchors were installed. I told him nothing bad is going to happen if we remove the bolts just long enough to torque the darn earth anchors.

Am I wrong? Is catastrophe just waiting for me to loosen those bolts?

Thanks,
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: torquing wall anchors

Carol - If the beams are attached to the concrete floor and floor joists above in a way that does not allow the floor above to move up slightly when the bolts are tightened then you would be correct that they may work against you. I would try tightening a couple Grip-Tites then removing the bolts from the closest beam or beams and seeing if the Grip-Tites can then be tightened more, proving that the beams were holding them back. I think you are right, but I probably would remove all the bolts at once, just in case. Just my thought. --Rick

o
RE: torquing wall anchors

Thanks Rick. We're having it done in August, and I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here