Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone had new sump pump fail?

Posted by tufenhundel (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 23:12

Due to the water table around here, we have a very active sump pump. It is a 1/4 hp submersed unit. My question is how reliable can I expect these pumps to be? I've had it for 2 years, with some annually extremely active periods, so I almost expect it to go already.

What has been your experience with these things?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone had new sump pump fail?

The pumps can go at any time, or can last for 10 to 15 years. If it is that active, you should consider an ac/dc/ back-up pump with a separate discharge.

o

You need to come up with a back up plan depending on what could be damaged if the sump pump fails.

o

Have a back up plan, get a good pump, (buy a duplicate also).

Make sure it is adjusted so it is not running too often.
It should run for 1-2 minutes each time it runs.

Good luck
Carguy

o

Yeah I have a back up plan: A total of 3 pumps in the sump, a main, a redundant to run when I have to replace the main, and a battery backup--with 2 marine batteries...check valves on everything. There's even a brand new pump waiting on the shelf for its call of duty. Some time down the line there'll be a standby generator to replace the battery back-up.

I was just curious because I never had a pump exercised like this one. Short cycling is probably the toughest thing on a motor. I keep on expecting it to fail any day, but it keeps on chugging.

o

Tufenhundel - Wow! 3 pumps in the sump - how do you have room. Is the main and the redundant the same make/manufacturer? How do you have it setup so the redundant will kick in?

o

tufenhundel,
I had a high water table at my last house. My pump was quite active, even ran during drought periods. The pump lasted for about 7 years. Fortunately, when my pump was starting to fail, it overworked itself. i.e. It kept pumping for about a minute after it emptied the pit.

Anyway, looking back, I was very foolish. I didn't have a backup pump at all. If I lost power even for just a few hours, it could have been disastrous.

As the previous poster stated, come up with a good backup plan.

o

tufenhundel,
I had a high water table at my last house. My pump was quite active, even ran during drought periods. The pump lasted for about 7 years. Fortunately, when my pump was starting to fail, it overworked itself. i.e. It kept pumping for about a minute after it emptied the pit.

Anyway, looking back, I was very foolish. I didn't have a backup pump at all. If I lost power even for just a few hours, it could have been disastrous.

As the previous poster stated, come up with a good backup plan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here