Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tufenhundel_gw

Anyone had new sump pump fail?

tufenhundel
16 years ago

Due to the water table around here, we have a very active sump pump. It is a 1/4 hp submersed unit. My question is how reliable can I expect these pumps to be? I've had it for 2 years, with some annually extremely active periods, so I almost expect it to go already.

What has been your experience with these things?

Comments (7)

• wtrprfr
    15 years ago

The pumps can go at any time, or can last for 10 to 15 years. If it is that active, you should consider an ac/dc/ back-up pump with a separate discharge.

• funnycide
    15 years ago

You need to come up with a back up plan depending on what could be damaged if the sump pump fails.

• carguy60
    15 years ago

Have a back up plan, get a good pump, (buy a duplicate also).

Make sure it is adjusted so it is not running too often.
    It should run for 1-2 minutes each time it runs.

Good luck
    Carguy

• tufenhundel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah I have a back up plan: A total of 3 pumps in the sump, a main, a redundant to run when I have to replace the main, and a battery backup--with 2 marine batteries...check valves on everything. There's even a brand new pump waiting on the shelf for its call of duty. Some time down the line there'll be a standby generator to replace the battery back-up.

I was just curious because I never had a pump exercised like this one. Short cycling is probably the toughest thing on a motor. I keep on expecting it to fail any day, but it keeps on chugging.

• diymostoftime
    15 years ago

Tufenhundel - Wow! 3 pumps in the sump - how do you have room. Is the main and the redundant the same make/manufacturer? How do you have it setup so the redundant will kick in?

• jasper_60103
    15 years ago

tufenhundel,
    I had a high water table at my last house. My pump was quite active, even ran during drought periods. The pump lasted for about 7 years. Fortunately, when my pump was starting to fail, it overworked itself. i.e. It kept pumping for about a minute after it emptied the pit.

Anyway, looking back, I was very foolish. I didn't have a backup pump at all. If I lost power even for just a few hours, it could have been disastrous.

As the previous poster stated, come up with a good backup plan.

• jasper_60103
    15 years ago

tufenhundel,
    I had a high water table at my last house. My pump was quite active, even ran during drought periods. The pump lasted for about 7 years. Fortunately, when my pump was starting to fail, it overworked itself. i.e. It kept pumping for about a minute after it emptied the pit.

Anyway, looking back, I was very foolish. I didn't have a backup pump at all. If I lost power even for just a few hours, it could have been disastrous.

As the previous poster stated, come up with a good backup plan.