Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subywu

Ceiling above shower stall - drop ceiling?

subywu
17 years ago

I went to look at the work done by a prospective basement finishing contractor. I noticed that the ceiling above the 34x34 molded shower stall (and also entire bathroom) is the same drop ceiling that is in the rest of the basement. Is this a problem? The bathroom is vented by can't help but think there might be moisture issues.

Comments (11)

• blue_fastback
    17 years ago

That tile will act like a sponge and soak up moisture like a sponge. He should of put drywall in the bathroom and tiled the shower ceiling.

• subywu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! Will bring the issue up at the finalization meeting. I am not tiling up the walls above the shower stall (molded) due to budget considerations.

• monzamess
    17 years ago

1) Armstrong (for example) sells ceiling panels that look like normal ceiling panels, but they're treated to withstand moisture--made especially for the bathroom. Check if that's what was used.

2) I am putting a suspended ceiling above my basement shower. I plan to use Armstrong's plastic grid components. Instead of the typical ceiling panels, I'm using 2x2 white acrylic light panels. It should look interesting but withstand moisture. If anyone thinks that's a dumb idea, tell me now! :)

• blue_fastback
    17 years ago

The panels are supose to resist moisture some what like for basement applications but for a in the shower?

• monzamess
    17 years ago

From Armstrong's website:

Can Armstrong ceilings be used in the bathroom?

Yes, if the bathroom is vented to the outside with a fan. Armstrong ceilings with HumiGuard Plus are extra sag resistant for use in areas of high humidity. BioBlock Treatment inhibits the spread of mold and mildew.

FWIW the reason I'm using the acrylic panels is that I can't find 'HumiGuard' panels locally, and they seem to be quite expensive to order.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na/ceilings/en/us/article17697.html

• blsdgal
    17 years ago

I have two showers in my basement with drop ceiling tiles, one is used at least daily--sometimes twice.

The other one is used daily. We have lived here almost 6 mo and and I haven't seen any problems. I also have Panasonic fans on timers and 2 HRVs that dehumidify the basement.

If you are taking care of humidity, I don't think you will have any problems. FWIW, one of our showers is a tub with a shower curtain and the other is a stall that is open at the top.

• subywu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good point about the fan timer. I am having the bathroom exhaust fan put on a timer and will probably have it running for 30 minutes per shower--I don't trust myself to do it that long otherwise.

• magnetic
    17 years ago

You could also use fiberglas drop-ceiling tiles in the bathroom. They are made of yellow, insulation-type soft fiberglas with a plastic underside (with the design imprinted in them.) They are totally resistant to moisture -- the only downside is that the white ceiling side is kind of shiny vs. matte. I've seen them at Menards.

• bronwynsmom
    17 years ago

Have you thought about adding a humidistat to your shower fan? It will kick in any time the humidity reaches the level you specify. We have one, plus a thermostat, for our attic fan (we live in the hummid coastal South), and it works wonderfully to keep moisture and heat from building up.

• hilltop_gw
    17 years ago

We have ceiling tiles in our basement "kids" bathroom where showers have been taken daily for nearly 10 years. No moisture problems at all. We have a ceiling fan that I preach they must use.