Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement floor crack and leak

Posted by Gurvy (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 20:16

Have a new home (less than 1 year old). Basement was poured concrete that was poured in February in NY. Had some of the usual settling that occurred during the winter months. Now with the thaw, we have noted that there is a crack in the floor that has definitely gotten longer (not wider than 1/16th of an inch). With the thaw, there is definitely some water that is seeping up form the soil underneath. Per code, there is a footing drain installed and to my knowledge and visual inspection has been functioning.

Second issue, and possibly the cause of the water, is a negative pitch of the back yard with collection of water in the basement door area. Builder is going to regrade the yard in this area to fix the issue.

Questions:
Is this a big issue that I need to have someone come out to look at (other than the builder)? My builder says that with the water accumulating in the back, this is causing over-saturation of the ground underneath and that the regrading will fix the issue. I am worried as more water is pushed out into a trench he has made to drain the excess water, more just accumulates.

Could there be a leak underneath from the footing drain, etc...??

Any solutions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement floor crack and leak

Regrading is a must and may clear up the excess water. If there is an exterior basement door, the Code I build under requires a floor drain, which is hooked into the storm or sanitary sewer or to daylight.

Regarding the crack, see below for the Performance Guideline for Tarion, the mandatory government warranty I build under.

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 20:22

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here