Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insulating basement with cellulose

Posted by fabbyone (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 20:03

Basement waterproofed on the exterior. Interior is framed out and cellulose is sprayed in. Originally I was told that there would be a vapor barrier against the poured concrete wall but then when they came out to spray the cellulose, the insulating guy said that it isnt needed if properly waterproofed.

Is that correct? I am second guessing now after things are completed. No drywall in the basement yet. Should I add a vapor barrier on the interior?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insulating basement with cellulose

Spray cellulose is fine above grade. Below grade, no, unless it is on the interior side of sufficient extruded polystyrene (XPS) or closed cell spray foam. Cellulose insulation is water sensitive and in the basement wall it will be subject to vapour drive out during the winter, in during the summer. (Assuming a temperate or colder climate.) Great for mould. Not so good for humans.

I'd remove it and start over.

Here is a link that might be useful: RR 0202

o

You do not need a vapor retarder with cellulose insulation, and the concerns expressed by worthy are greatly exaggerated.

The cellulose will be fine as is.

o

The internet is rife with self-proclaimed building experts still disseminating outdated information. But the building science is clear. No vapour barrier in the basement. Equally, no water sensitive insulation either, unless it is inward of XPS, EPS, closed cell spray polyurethane, polyiso or equivalent materials. (The one exception is if you can find MemBrain vapour barrier in your area.)

If the finishing were on already, I'd let it go. As long as you have no liquid water leaks and maintain a low relative humidity, you may indeed be fine. But since the drywall is not on, it's a relatively simple thing to remove the cellulose and do it right.

Basement FG mould
Here's where that "funny smell" in the basement comes from.
Vapour barrier prevents inward drying of water vapour. Mould grows
in the water sensitive insulation.

o

The internet is rife with self proclaimed experts disseminating outdated or misquided info.

Worthy is a classic case of one.

Cellulose is fine for basement applications when the basement has been damproofed as indicated.

No vapor barrier required.

Cellulose will be just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here