Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

basement wall anchor spacing

weedyacres
10 years ago

We've bought an old house whose 4 basement walls are all bowing inward about 3" or so. We had 3 companies out to give estimates to install wall anchors to stop the bowing and potentially reverse it by occasionally torquing the bolts. The house (and basement) footprint is 25' x 35'

Company A is quoting 16 anchors total: 5 on each long wall and 3 on each short wall. Price per anchor higher.

Company B is quoting 24 anchors total: 7 on each long wall and 5 on each short wall. Price per anchor lower.

Both provide a lifetime warranty that no further displacement will occur.

We're on a pretty tight budget, so my thought is that if I can talk Company B into using fewer anchors, I can save some money. I did some internet research to see what the required spacing is so I can be educated about it. I'm finding 6-8 feet. Basically, it appears that Company B is putting the first anchors in the very corners, then every 5-6', which seems conservative. Company A starts them 6' away from the corner and then puts them every 6' or so.

To those of you experts in this arena: do you need anchors in the corners? And how close do they really need to be?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax