Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement wall anchor spacing

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 18:59

We've bought an old house whose 4 basement walls are all bowing inward about 3" or so. We had 3 companies out to give estimates to install wall anchors to stop the bowing and potentially reverse it by occasionally torquing the bolts. The house (and basement) footprint is 25' x 35'

Company A is quoting 16 anchors total: 5 on each long wall and 3 on each short wall. Price per anchor higher.

Company B is quoting 24 anchors total: 7 on each long wall and 5 on each short wall. Price per anchor lower.

Both provide a lifetime warranty that no further displacement will occur.

We're on a pretty tight budget, so my thought is that if I can talk Company B into using fewer anchors, I can save some money. I did some internet research to see what the required spacing is so I can be educated about it. I'm finding 6-8 feet. Basically, it appears that Company B is putting the first anchors in the very corners, then every 5-6', which seems conservative. Company A starts them 6' away from the corner and then puts them every 6' or so.

To those of you experts in this arena: do you need anchors in the corners? And how close do they really need to be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement wall anchor spacing

They are unlikely to give you a warranty if you do not accept their spacing.

What are the walls made of?

This post was edited by brickeyee on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 16:38

o

Poured concrete: a rough aggregate with a skim coat over it, judging by a patch on one wall where the skim coat has chipped away.

o

"Poured concrete"

It takes a hell of a load to affect poured concrete unless they put in NO steel.

The skim coat is probably hiding a LOT of cracks.

Concrete does not bend all that well.

i would strip all the ski coat to see what the wall looks like.

If the skim coat is not cracked it would appear to have been applied AFTER the wall started to fail to hide the problem.

Is their expansive soil bearing on the wall?

The best thing would likely be forms stripped to fast and then the wall back-filed.
The concrete might have had enough 'give' to just flex without cracking in any major way.
In that case nothing may need to be done.

How are the companies proposing to spread the point loads from the anchors on the wall?

If the wall is badly fractured it is unlikely to behave as a monolithic piece, but a whole mess of smaller sections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here