Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
microxl

Subfloor for Platon/Delta product

microxl
15 years ago

I know this is an old thread from about this time last year but I want to run with it in a different direction.

Most people discussed the use of 5/8" OSB or ply over the Platon/Delta. Platon literature however, indicates that if you use laminate flooring you do not need a subfloor AT ALL. You can lay it directly over the Platon (with the thin foam sheeting underneath, of course). Here's where I'm looking for opinions. After putting down the Platon over 3/4 of my basement (+/- 1000 sq ft) I find it has ripples in certain areas that don't settle fully. If I try to smooth them they just pop up nearby. They aren't major but enough to cause worry. I suspect it is due to the fact that over the full expanse, the basement (4 yr old)concrete floor is not perfectly level.

Do you think the weight of laminate flooring is enough to weight down the Platon? Would I be asking for trouble? It seems to me that subfloor or not (if the surface is not perfectly level)laminate over a large expanse might end up "hanging" here and there. Any pointers?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator