Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French door in low walkout basement

Posted by chrisgabor (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 18:17

I have a low clearance walkout basement. The max height is 89" from concrete to floor joist, minus the double top plate I have the usable height of 84.5". The wall is a 2x6 construction and currently have a 36x80 metal door in place with low height 2x4 header and 2x6 king and jack studs. Would like to put in a standard 72x80 patio door. The wall is load bearing.
I'm not familiar with the load sizing but I'm sure I need at least 2x6 double header. But I don't have enough clearance. What are my options? Could I use some sort of I beam (metal) header?
Thanks,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French door in low walkout basement

Could I use some sort of I beam (metal) header?

Use a correctly-sized steel lintel.

o
RE: French door in low walkout basement

Chris,

I'm in a very similiar situation. My basement is 7'.25" from cement to the bottom of the joists. The house is balloon construction, 2x4 wall studs go from the foundation to the roof. Because of the balloon construction, I need an 8' header, but it can't be more than 4" tall. I'm probably going to go with some engineered lumber and rebuild that portion of the wall with the rough-in as a 2x6 wall. #50 from betterheader (http://www.betterheader.com/ibeam.asp) looks like a possibility.

Did you find a solution for a short header? Worthy's suggestion of a steel lintel is the second time I've come across that as a solution, but I haven't found any information on using that with wood construction.

Thanks
Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here