Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealed sump pump question

Posted by ken_from_md (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 17:58

We have a sealed sump pump in the basement, no floating lid, everything is caulked shut. The basement flooded this weekend through the basement door (exterior walk-up) after leaves blocked the drain at the bottom of the stairs. All the water flowed to the corner where the sump pump is, but being sealed, there is no where for the water to go. Is this normal?

Do I need to install a second pump to protect the basement, replace the one that is there with something else, or can I just drill some holes in the lid that is there?

This area of the basement is unfinished and will stay that way as it is a workshop area. It just seems odd to me that there is no drain to take water out of the basement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealed sump pump question

Typically the only reason for the lid to be sealed is to prevent the musty odor from the stagnant water from entering the basement. I have not experienced a lid that was caulked shut. Typically they will have nothing or a rubber or a foam type gasket. I would open the lid to see what you have and then figure out if you want to drill a few holes in the lid.

o

Could it be sealed due to radon? Mine was sealed as part of a radon remediation system.

o

Do you have the basement plumbed for a future toilet? It may not be a drainage sump at all, but a holding tank that the subteranean toilet will dump into. Systems like this usually have a grinder/pump to lift the sewage up to septic tank level. In this situation, it would be caulked shut and you definitely would not want to drill any holes in it lest you permit it to vent into your basement!

o

The basement does have plans for a future toilet. However, there is a separate holding pit waiting for a pump that will service the toilet. The sump pump pumps water directly outside, not to a sewer/septic line.

I have not yet looked into this further. Too many other things to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here