Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
want to temporarily spruce up basement

Posted by bsacks (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 17:51

We are definitely going to finish our basement with top quality materials - when we have enough money together. In the meantime, I'd like to just make it nice enough for the kids to be able to play there. I was thinking of painting the cement walls and putting down cheap carpet squares. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Do I really need to prime the walls before painting if I know we are going to sheetrock within a year (hopefully)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: want to temporarily spruce up basement

You can definitely paint your concrete. Plan that it is a slow process to brush paint into all of the uneven spots and may take 2 coats. Parts of ours was painted for several years until the finishing could "catch-up". We even anchored picture hooks onto the walls and hung some posters. I would be careful about gluing anything onto the floor unless you know what your eventual flooring might be. Glue clean-up can be a mess. Consider a carpet remnant.

Meanwhile, you will be using the space and imagining how you would like it finished. Use this as your opportunity to develop your plan, even anticipate finishing it in phases.

o

Try to incorporate as much floor and task lighting as you can. Many basements make the mistake of opting for just overhead lights, or flourescent lights, which make the space feel cold and clinical. And avoid junking it with remnant furniture which tends to make the whole space feel as though you're using it for storage. Invest in some decent quality, durable pieces, a nice remnant rug (with a good pad or it will feel hard on the concrete). you could even paint the floors if you wanted. Some tables, a few lamps and some color on the walls. It should look much more inviting. You don't have to break the bank either.

o

Don't know where you at but that seem liked a basement w/o any insulation if you going to paint the concrete wall.

Would coldness be a factor during the winter season? How was it before?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here