Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lot67

Using Dehumidiifer in Basement

lot67
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

We just built and moved into our house 2 months ago. Should I be running the dehumidifier all year round? I live in ohio and we get all 4 seasons.

Also, our unfinished basement is about 1000 square feet. If i put one on the far side will it reach the whole basement?

Comments (6)

• worthy
    15 years ago

The dehumidifier should be running sufficiently enough to bring down the relative humidity to 35-40%. That means all summer and less frequently in the other seasons. Far side is fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA on Dehumidifiers

• billinpa
    15 years ago

You can get dehumidifiers that have a humidity setting on them. Just set it at 35-40%. Also to ease the PIA of empting them I hooked up a fitting and ran it into my condensate pump. It empties on its own now. :)

• bus_driver
    15 years ago

The lower humidity setting will use more electricity. I keep mine at about 48% which is proving to be completely satisfactory for storage of my files. I have two dehumidifiers with separate humidistats controlling the receptacles for the units. One of my units drains to the floor drain. I plan to do that with the second unit.

• mariascottage
    15 years ago

Hi All, I just moved into a basement apt. and found a dehumifier in the closet. My landlord said to run it in the summer. I've never lived in a basement before (it's taking some getting used to it) so I don't know what this is about. I live in the N.VA/Washington D.C. area where it's super humid in the summertime. My walk-in closet is built like in an alcove off the main room. Does this mean that my clothes will be damp during the summer?! This has got me really worried. Can any of you help me understand this dehumidifier situation? 'Appreciate it.

• mikie_gw
    15 years ago

If that dehumidifier is supposed to stay in the closet, its either a really damp closet, or a really small dehumidifier, or a very large closeta.

If its a small one, leave it in the closet.. check and dump it once per day.. make it a habit. You'll learn how often it needs emptied. Not a big deal.

If its a bigger one it probably is on wheels... roll it out to somewhere that suites you.. it should dry the closet too, if it has an open doorway. Cycles on and off automatically as needed. Will have a beep and blinking light if full of water... dump it in the garden,, water a bush.

They all add a slight amount of heat to the air. 50% humidity is supposed to be ideal. 60% is ok here in florida.. nice and comfortable. 50% is nicer, but the power bill goes up really fast as the efficiency goes down really fast below 60% on dehumidifiers.

• worthy
    15 years ago

The EPA recommends 30%-50% RH.

Energy Star rated dehumidifiers use less energy than other models and in some locations carry rebates.

mariascottage Try not to open your windows in the summer. All that will do is bring in more warm damp air.