Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanama_gw

Can I use a self-leveling concrete for this?

tanama
15 years ago

We have a very tiny basement, basically just big enough for the furnace/ac blower unit, the sump pump. and one set of shelving.

It's an OLD house and old basement, and the floor is very uneven, and the water that pushes up from our very-high water level (most houses here don't have basements for that reason) tends to pool in the low spots.

Can I use a self-leveling concrete to even out the floor?

My biggest question is how do I handle it around the sump well - do I build a barrier a few inches out from it and then trowl in some regular concrete at a slant once the self-leveling has fully cured?

Also, what would be the best way to put in some kind of mini-trenches to direct the little bit of water that still ends up on the surface over to the sump well: press something into the wet concrete that I could take or chip out once the concrete cured (if so, what?)? Use a circular saw to cut out some trenches once it's dried? Any other ideas?

And just in case it's not obvious, this basement is all about function - appearance really doesn't matter. We go down there very rarely.

Comment (1)