Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation Spalling and Grading

Posted by SherwoodForest (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 15:59

Our block foundation has some spalling just above grade and an outside corner with additional damage just below the grade (see first photo). The downspout extension in this corner had been leaking water behind it with the previous owner (I suspect for quite a while).

Here's what we're seeing on this end of the house:
- Spalling above grade
- Horizontal cracks along joints
- Significant deterioration at corner, below grade
- This end of the house is vented crawlspace

Items we have done or plan to address:
- Achieve negative grade away from house
- Downspout extensions (5' long) no longer leak against house

I suspect the deteriorated corner is from the downspout extension leaking against the foundation for an extended period. Is it bad enough to require repair? Can it be cleaned and patched, or does the block need replaced?

What about the spalling above grade? Is there something we need to do with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation Spalling and Grading

Here's the spalling along the side of the house.

o

Here's the grade along the side of the house. Visually we can see the grade needs improved, but we've measured the grade in several places around the house and know where and how much needs improved.

o

Here's a close-up of the deteriorated corner.

o

More spalling.

o

If it was mine I'd assume that the block was fully grouted and so would be nasty to replace. I'd dig down below the poured footer, wash the dirt away, and hand trowel mortar mix with added cement and latex admixture. At least that'd be my first guess until I actually dug down to see what was really there...

o

I'd extend the downspouts at least six feet out into the yard. Or, better yet, run the downspout into solid 4" PVC sewer pipe going into the ground, then trench it out 20 feet with a popup emitter at the end. The last couple of lengths of pipe can be perforated. A "Y" fitting where the downspout runs into the PVC will serve as a cleanout.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Extend a Downspout

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 10:27

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here