Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using metal studs instead of wood

Posted by kathyr83 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 15:51

How secure are metal studs? Can cabinets be hung from them? We are finishing our basement and want to put in cabinets at the bar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using metal studs instead of wood

I believe metal studs are the future though I did not use them as I'm comfortable with wood. Certainly they provide more fire safety and if your building code permits romax wire, they have openings to thread your wiring internally.

For your cabinets, I don't know about their bearing weight, but you could use a section of wood 2x4's there. I suggest installing a horizontal mounting strip too for ease in anchoring those cabinets to the wall.

Forrest

o
RE: using metal studs instead of wood

"Certainly they provide more fire safety and if your building code permits romax wire, they have openings to thread your wiring internally."

Do not bet on the fore safety. While steel studs wil lnot add fuel, steel has a nasty hait of loosing all strength when heated. Wood only looses strength as it is burned away.

While there are holes on the studs for wiring, every hole must have a grommet installed if you use NM cable. AC and MC are used in most of the commercial work around me and require no protection from steel studs.

I have a set of punches for steel studs since the holes are not always in the desired location. That and the tools to build with them are a lot more expensive than a circular saw and a hammer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here