Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where do we begin? :)

Posted by green_thumb_wannabe (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 14:50

We are about ready to start learning the process and steps to finishing our basement and would love any advice you have. Our home is newly built and the walk-out basement is poured concrete and already has the sump pump, electrical panel, and plumbing for a bathroom. We are hoping it will not be too difficult for us to manage the project and maybe even do some of the work ourselves. Are there any websites, books, etc. that you would recommend for us to begin learning about the steps as well as the latest products available? Thanks for any help you could give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where do we begin? :)

Sorry, I have no recommendations for sites to get you started. Probably local home centers have DIY books to offer ideas.

My suggestion is to first establish how you will use the space and the corresponding finishing touches; e.g. extension of the house. children's play area, apartment, entertainment space, etc.. Then draw a layout - measure, locate fixed entities, position approximate walls. Graph paper and a pencil will suffice.

Our basement is conventional, We actually placed masking tape on the floor to "live" the space before beginning the build-out. Lighting, receptacles' and built-ins were positioned accordingly.

This is not a simple matter because you will need to "shop" in order to obtain sizes of various of desired fixtures to make certain they will fit. I gained a new respect for architects while doing this. But, our final build has modest variations to the plan. And, should you hire a designer, providing your insight will aid them to deliver what you want. For certain, a back-up sump pump, humidity control and depending on your zone the possibility of auxiliary heat.

I've linked our finished space with explanations accompanying many. It was entirely DIY, done over the course of five winters. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement

o
RE: where do we begin? :)

Before you finish your basement, you need to be sure the basics are right. The best site for accurate information is Building Science Corp.

Don't assume the builder has got it right!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here