Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billinpa

Basement floor schedule

billinpa
14 years ago

I need some knowledge on what should be going down on the floor on my unfinished basement.

Overall the finished dfloor will either be carpet tiles, tile, or laminate.

My floor is terribly uneven. I think the concrete guys drank their lunch the day they poured our floor.

Water has never been an issue down there at all.

Food for thought I do plan on a pool table to go in at some point so please consider that.

I was planning on self leveling concrete over the existing slab, then xps to reduce the coldness and give some cushion, then what? I dont know where to go from there?

Comments (15)

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

what are you using underneath to prevent mold...curious?

• billinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thats what I want to know. LOL

I know about the walls, framing, electrical just dont have a clue what the best way to go for the floor.

• worthy
    14 years ago

See the Building Corp. Research Report--Renovating Existing Basements RR-0509c--at the link below.

For ceramic tile or stone, you can omit the XPS. Though your floors will be warmer with it.

There are a number of recent threads on renovating basements, including some pics of posters' work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Renovating Existing Basements--RR-0509c

• billinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think RR 0509e would be better :)

Im curious if the xps would crush under the weight on a 8 foot slate pool table.

Also the article recommends xps, then 1x4s, then plywood subfloor. But doesnt mention how the 1x4s or the plywood are fastened.

• worthy
    14 years ago

RR 0509e "slabs" is for before the floor is poured.

curious if the xps would crush under the weight on a 8 foot slate pool table.

Tables can weigh up to 1157 kg (2,751 lbs.). That weight is spread over as many as eight legs. So about 343 lbs. per leg. If a leg is 6"x6", that's 36 sq. in. Type IV extruded polystyrene has a compression strength of 25-100lb per sq. in.--thus even the "softest" XPS can hold 36x25=900 lbs. per leg. So the answer is, not likely. Furthermore, since the weight is spread out even further by two layers of 1/2" plywood, the point load is far less. Just don't ask me the math on that!

Building Science Corporation RR 0509c p.2?

• billinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I understand! but wouldnt the fasteners through the xps compromise the vapor barrier aspect of the xps? plus wouldnt the fasteners eventually rust away?

If you look at page 3-4 of 0509e you will see what i was referring to.

Thanks for all your help.

I just dont understand when or why one way is used over the other.

• worthy
    14 years ago

0509e refers to a "slab on grade". 0509c refers to a below-grade basement. Different dynamics.

The screws through the XPS are inconsequential in area. Unless there is regular water leakage, there is no liquid water. Use galvanized screws.

Membrane systems, such as Delta FL and panel systems, such as Dricore, can be used instead of the XPS plywood combo.

• worthy
    14 years ago

Save yourself money and time. In a later Building America publication from the US Department of Energy, also by Building Science Corp., the subfloor detail is altered to two alternatives: "either one layer 1/2" plywood-mechanically fastened to slab; or two layers of 1/2" plywood, joints offset, second layer glued."

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

I can not believe someone has not developed something cheap to plop down over the concrete that can not be destroyed by water BUT eliminates the mold possibilty. Then you take your chance laying carpet over top this product....if you have a flood, replace the carpet as opposed to need to removing subfloors and XPS......got to be something out there...I wonder how many folks just put carpet/pad down over the concrete....in fact since I see that in most basements I guessing that all most do...wonder if there is mold under there?

• billinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would assume most do have mold.

Water is a non issue with me. Flooding. If that happened I would have alot more to worry about then the basement. Our lot is sloped at about 10 degrees. Basement humity never gets above 50 percent.

I just want to do it right the first time and not have to worry about it. Carpet is not an option with me. Our 3 dogs go in and out through the basement. Way to dirty for carpet. Something solid and easily cleaned is my best option.

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

there's a lot of mold out there then! I've been asking folks about their basement carpet. I have yet to find ANYONE who does not have pad + carpet or just carpet. That does not make it right but surely if the mold was a horrendous issue it would be more of an issue; likely rergulated. Still I worry too. Bottom line anyone can have a flood. I will not put myslef in a position of having to rip up carpet, pad, plywood and XPS. I think I'll run the risk of mold and use just carpet. If I have a flood, I'll junk the carpet!

• billinpa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If carpet was an option for me then I would probably do just what you are saying.

My parents house had just pad and carpet right on top of the slab. But then again their basemant has always had that musty/moldy smell to it.

• lacombe
    14 years ago

We're going to be putting the DriCore down on our cement,and on top, it will be either cork or engineered hard wood flooring, haven't made up my mind yet.

• gopintos
    14 years ago

I will probably stain my new basement, but in our old basement, it use to take on lots of water in the spring, so I put down indoor/outdoor carpet, I think the same as used on Boats. Not the bright green stuff, there are lots of nice color choices.

• bmrbabe
    14 years ago

We redid one of our basement bedrooms with an electric radiant floor with cork over it. Love it! At some point we will do the rest of the carpeted part of the basement. We have tile or bare concrete in some areas, but carpet in the "rec room" area and t.v. room.