Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finishing a basement

Posted by gemini7711 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 14:11

We are repairing a crack on our basement wall with a polyurethane injection. After the crack is repaired and we want to finish our basement, what would be suggested in treating the walls? Should I just start drywalling? What about the floor? Should I install a subfloor? I take it I should stay away from sealers/waterproofers/epoxies on the concrete? (Pressure issues?) I've also heard of people putting up a membrane (kind of like a tub surround) on the wall, then drywalling?

What's recommended? What has anyone had success with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finishing a basement

Here's some homework from experts with no axes to grind.

o

For those concerned about mold problems in basements, I have done some research on that issue. I have found that the primary cause apart from obvious foundation issues is that often with traditional construction the wall materials do not allow the basement to 'dry inwards'--meaning any moisture is trapped in the wall. This comes typically as a result of applying a impermeable vapor barrier against the concrete wall or immediately under the finish surface. The recommendation to avoid this is to create a thermal break at the cold concrete wall (typically using an extruded polystyrene "XPS") and then use materials that allow any moisture to dry into the finish space. Additionally, if traditional 2x4 framing is to be used, it should not contact the concrete wall, but instead be installed flush against the XPS. Un-faced fiberglass batting can be installed in the stud cavities if additional insulation is desired. Please see the attached link and download the .pdf file provided by Building Science to read about all of their findings. This is the most straight forward and valuable documentation I have been able to find about basement finishing techniques.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Insulation Systems

o

If you are planning to finish the ceiling & still have access to pipes and electrical boxes, you should check out basementceilingtiles.com. They have lots of styles and colors to get the look you want and it would be completely resistant to moisture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement Ceiling Tiles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here