Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl Flooring on Cement Floor

Posted by msmity29 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 13:50

We are currently in the process of finishing a playroom for our children in our basement and are trying to finalize our flooring plan. Originally we had planned on laying laminate flooring, but have since determined that the floor is not level enough to do so. Now we plan on laying vinyl flooring that is made as planks and look just like wood (sold at Menards). However, we are afraid that the floor is going to be too cold for little ones. Any suggestions on inexpensive underlayment options to increase the comfort of such a floor? Someone recommended plywood but I am not sure how I would fasten this onto the cement. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl Flooring on Cement Floor

I hope you realized that any defects in the concrete will telegraph through the vinyl, so you may have to spend some time prepping the floor.

For comfort, you really can't beat carpeting although in a basement I can understand why some people are reluctant to use it. I don't see plywood having much insulation value. To make a substantial difference you'd need some kind of real insulation.

Maybe vinyl and some areas rugs?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here