Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top Plate over drywall?

Posted by jeff147 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 07 at 13:32

I am adding a few separation walls in a huge finished area of the basement. Ceiling is drywalled. Can I nail the top plates over the ceiling drywall or do I cut the drywall where the 2 top plates go, recede the first and nail second on top and somehow support the drywall ceiling with strips? Second option seems like tons of work for a non-bearing wall. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top Plate over drywall?

Nail it over the drywall.

o

I think it greatly depends on how the ceiling joists run in relative to your new wall.
You should get by if the new walls run in perpedicular (or at an angle) to the ceiling joist, so all you do is nail it on every joists for stability.
If parallel to the joist, I'm afraid there's going to be some blocking work in order to fasten the head of your new wall frame to it.

o

Just remember a possibility if running parallel to your existing ceiling joist.

Since most ceiling joists are spaced 16" O.C. - you could try placing the new wall right underneath the joist by moving it over up to 8" max. in either direction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here