Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kquinn_gw

cement board before tile? (basement floor)

kquinn
15 years ago

Hi there.

Our contractor is in the process of finishing our basement, including a full bath area that is to be tiled. He has installed a cement based board on the bathroom floor and plans to tile over it instead of just tiling directly on the cement floor, which is the better way according to what I have read. What I have not been able to locate is any specific reasons why the cement board is a bad idea. Could anyone offer further information? The cement board is affixed to the floor with thinset and is also screwed into the floor at the corners. We have Dri-Core in the other areas of the finished space and the reasoning behind using the cement board was to raise the level of the bathroom floor so that it will sit evenly with the Dri-core. The cement board does say that it offers "Superior Mold and Mildew Resistance" and is made for wet areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• chpwaman
    15 years ago

I can't think of any reason why the cement board is a bad idea...you need the cement board to prevent future cracking and shifting of the tiles. If you adhere them directly to the cement floor, the tiles will shift over time and crack. The cement board, even though it is adhered to the concrete will still offer some flex for the tile to float as the floor moves or cracks over time.

• homebound
    15 years ago

....I do mean test it after the thinset is dry, like several hours later.

• worthy
    15 years ago

There is absolutely no reason to use cement board on a floor. To prevent future cracking that is almost inevitable in any basement, I use Ditra. Easiest thing in the world to put down. For the best pricing, look to a large tile distributor, not the Big Boxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Bridge Forum

• chpwaman
    15 years ago

"
    There is absolutely no reason to use cement board on a floor. To prevent future cracking that is almost inevitable in any basement, I use Ditra. Easiest thing in the world to put down. For the best pricing, look to a large tile distributor, not the Big Boxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Bridge Forum"

You are correct, you do not need to use cement board IF you use Ditra, but some type of underlayment needs to be used or cracks will develop much more rapidly than without one. Since cement board had already been used, I was letting them know that their builder did not make a bad choice in using it. I concur, the John Bridge tile forum is an outstanding resource.

• kquinn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks for the replies. We appreciate knowing that the cement board, which, by the way, is 1/2" hardiebacker, isn't likely to cause problems later on. Sounds like Ditra might have been another, possibly better, option. That's OK though, as long as the way that it has been done isn't known to be problematic.
    Again, our sincere thanks for the help!

• homebound
    15 years ago

If adding height to a small bathroom floor was the goal, the cement board was a good solution.

• greeneyedmarine
    14 years ago

So, how did the cement board work out? I am planning on doing the same thing with my basement, however I plan to start in the laundry room so all of my "I really didn't know what I was doing" mistakes will be seen by me only twice a week.

• philip_103
    14 years ago

Hi friends,

We supply high quality fiber cement board, and would like to talk with you anything about cement board or other materials.

Please contact me:

MSN: kanjeya@hotmail.com
    E-mail: beyondbuildingenergy@gmail.com

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

philip 103,

You might want to review the terms of use for this site.

Advertising is NOT allowed.