Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which insulation?

Posted by bert76 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 12:40

We have a finished basement that was done by previous owners. We know there is no insulation.

We have discovered mold that likely started when the previous owners had several floods before putting in a sump. The basement has been dry in the two years we've owned it.

As part of the remediation, the drywall will be removed 4' up from the bottom (the mold is only on the bottom couple of inches).

We're going to leave the walls open for a while to see if there are any unknown leaks. Once we are comfortable that we've solved any moisture problems, we plan to reinstall paperless drywall. But we also want to add insulation. It has to be non-organic and non-porous to inhibit any future mold growth.

For this type of situation, what kind of insulation would be best, keeping in mind that cost is a factor. Could we put insulation boards (XPS, I think) in each stud cavity? Would that provide the right kind of vapor barrier?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Bert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which insulation?

Any of the following materials will work well in at least the thickness specified.

XPS up to 2ins.; EPS 4 ins.; closed cell spray polystyrene of 3 Ins.; open cell spray polystyrene, 10 ins.

No vapour barrier needed. (Unless a clueless municipal inspector still insists on it.)

If you can slip sheets of XPS between the framing and the foundation walls, do so. Even if it's just 1/2" sheets, it will be very effective in reducing moisture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp. on Basements

o

Thanks. Should I try to seal around the XPS? Or just put it in the cavity against the concrete?

o

Any thoughts on the most economical rigid insulation? What about the best way to install, considering the drywall is gone four feet from the bottom?

Bert

o

As long as the boards are tight to the wall, there's no need to seal.

EPS is the cheapest satisfactory insulation. But it robs space because of its thickness. The most important part of the basement to insulate is the top of the wall, especially the portion that is abovegrade. If you're trying to keep the drywall, I'd try to push up enough EPS so that it tightly fills the space. Not ideal. But it could be effective.

o

Does it matter if the exterior basement wall has a covered porch or garage (on a slab with dirt fill) on the other side?

I have an insulation company as part of a weatherization program here today, and they said that this situation is like a 'party wall' and doesn't need insulation since it's not an exterior wall.

Does that make sense?

o

By the way, none of these wall in question are above grade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here