Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Moisture

Posted by tdiehl (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 12:33

We are planning to finish our basement but need to understand an issue. Last year, we had an ant problem in the basement near the sill plate. We also experienced heavy rains. There was some sort of leak that I believe started from the exterior of the house.

Ants are gone, but the area still "looks" wet. I've added pictures for better understanding. My question is:

1.) What professional is best to contact for a evaluation on what is causing the problem or how to remedy it. General contractor? Waterproofer? Basement related contractor?

We simply do not know who looks at this type of stuff and has the expert opinion on if there is a big problem and how to fix.

Thanks.

Interior
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Exterior

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Moisture

There are likely missing or badly done flashings/kick-out flashings, some further up the wall. Water is running behind the stucco and down to the basement

A good general contractor should be able to spot and remedy the sources of the water.

o

Thanks for the reply and information worthy!!

o

Additional pics that may increase the odds that it is flashing or lack thereof. It's hard to tell but from another angle it appears the flashing is on the other side of the chimney, but it almost looks damaged or altered somehow. Hard to explain as I had to use binoculars.

Sorry for rotation of pics...

o

Yes, your pic shows a classic lack of kickout flashing. If you're lucky, the bulk of the water may only be running down the surface as opposed to behind the stucco.

Take a look at the Fine Homebuilding article I linked to above to see what's missing. You should also check that your eavestrough is clean and sloped correctly to working downspouts that take the runoff far from your basement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here