Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pad under carpet in the basement, did you regret it?

Posted by dominogold (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 12:26

Personally I dislike the feeling of carpet with no pad, especially on basement floors.

However many carpet people I talk to say it's a good idea incase you have water in the basement, then the pad won't cause mold.

Is this really true, and isn't there some other way around this? To me, carpet without pad is like a car without an engine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pad under carpet in the basement, did you regret it?

dominogold,
I figure you have to weigh your own risk. It even should be considered before finishing a basement. Water could possibly do more damage than ruining carpet.

My basement is dry and the sump pump never runs, even during a down pour. So I sleep well at night.

One alternative would be to use area rugs over a tile floor, but I suppose this is almost equivalent to carpet w/o the padding though.

Another option would be to use carpet squares. I think some have padding built in? And if disaster strikes, you only have to replace the damaged ones.

Hope this helps.

-jasper

o

I regret ever putting carpet (with pad) in my basement in the first place. We're planning to remodel our baement, and will use cork or Pergo instead. I have a dry basement, but it smells musty and I think the carpet compounds the problem.

o

kkay,
What kind of climate control do you use for your basement? We also have padding under carpet and don't have the musty problem. We have the a/c cycle which pulls quite a bit of the moisture from the air.

o

I have painted my basement floors with Drylok and will be putting down padding and carpet remnant (got them free from a friend) over that. None of it will be secured to the floor and it wont be wall to wall. I'll leave a foot or so of concrete showing around the perimeter. I think this system wil be cheap, relatively attractive (for a basement) and will allow me to monitor the condition of the pad and carpet. It'll be easily removed if I sense that it's damp or moldy. Good luck.

o

We have a very thick pad under the berber in our finished english basement. There is no water problem etc and no smell or mustiness. The carpet feels fantastic and very warm underfoot. Our last home had this industrial HD carpet glued right to the cement and it was like walking on cement itself. And always cold. I'd go for padding.

o

dgmarie,
I did the same thing.
I finished my english basement with berber carpet.
I think its great too. Very comfortable under foot.

o

If a carpted basement flood call the carpet company immediately. The carpet can be easily pulled up and everything dried out.
The carpet is then just put back down.
Waiting even 24 hours to remove the carpet can ruin both it and the padding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here