Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible to finish the basement of an 1897 home?

Posted by paucie (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 11:40

DH and I thought it wouldn't be possible to finish the basement because, although it's in good shape, it is stone, and obviously, very old. But, I just saw a listing for a Victorian home built 3 years earlier than ours, and the listing describes the basement as "finished, with a bedroom and 1/2 bath."

So, how can we figure out if we can finish ours one of these days?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible to finish the basement of an 1897 home?

The major difference from a modern basement of block or poured concrete is that you likely won't be anchoring any walls directly to the existing foundation, as it's likely irregular and may be damaged by anchoring systems.

Otherwise, your criteria are the same: is it dry? has sufficient headroom? meets local Codes for egress?

o

Interesting. I have no idea about this egress business, but it's sounding like this would be the perfect project for my 82-year old grandfather who refuses to stop working. ;-)

o

Some 90% of American communities have adopted International Code Council standards for egress from basement living areas--essentially two separate exits from the basement. In practice, that usually means the basement stairs and an "egress" window.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egress Solutions for Basement Living Space

o

Don't forget minimum height restrictions, which vary by location. Contact your local Code Enforcement division, they may have some easy to read documentation on basement finishing in your area.

IMO, older homes are a safer candidate for basement finishing when it comes to the #1 problem... water. Your basement has seen weather for 100 years, and if water came in, you should see the signs of it. If you do have some infiltration points, you can work out a fix as part of the finishing. New homes are a wild card for water issues.

o

"...egress from basement living areas..."

Living area depends on what you plan for the area.
If unfinished it is not generally considered "living area".
The big concern is bedrooms.

You can pour a slab in the basement no matter what ceiling heights are, as long as you do not want to finish off the area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here