Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bilco Door alternatives?

Posted by dredpir8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 11:05

Hi all,

We have to replace our old rusted out Bilco door and were wondering if there were some other, more aesthetic, alternatives. We're not looking at changing the type of egress, just the appearance of the doors themselves.

The old-style wooden ones are very attractive with their farmhouse appearance but we realize they will not be as good at keeping out water etc and will require much more maintenance.

Basically I want a Bilco door that doesn't look like metal or plastic.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bilco Door alternatives?

Can't say I've seen a modern wood basement door but I haven't looked either. Constructed out of appropriate materials and properly maintained, I don't see why one wouldn't last a good long time.

How about trimming a basic steel door with wood?

o

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the feedback. That's the conclusion I reached as well. I like your idea about trimming the steel door. Do you have any ideas how I would do that? Just glue thin pieces to the steel?

o

I'd think it would depend on what kind of wood you're planning on using because you have to take into account wood movement. You also want to pick a wood suitable for outdoor use -- cedar, cypress, redwood, or one of the tropical hardwoods used for decking. For the large surface of the doors you could use something like marine grade plywood or T1-11. All depends on your taste and budget.

For the doors, I was thinking of something along the lines of a fence where a couple or three horizontal pieces were glued to the door surface and the vertical pieces were screwed/nailed to that.

Remember the wood will add weight to the door making it more difficult to open.

o

Trex?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here