Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Help! Taping / Mudding overhead problem....

andrelaplume2
12 years ago

I have been getting better at taping joints and even inside corners. Outside corners are even coming along along since I switched to metal corner bead and watched a few you tube videos�.but�.last night I worked over my head for the first time on the horizontal portion of an outside corner on the ductwork�..a 14 foot span. I went down this morning to tale a look at how the first coat went. To m y surprise the thing was lumpier than expected�usually there are no lumps at all. Also, it sort of had cracks in places. I think I somehow go too much mud on at once. I do not know what I did wrong�maybe I rode along the edge of the corner and put to much on�not sure. I am sponging the heck out of it to knock it down but some cracks are not going away. Should I try to remove all this or just try to apply to thinner coats over it? Any techniques on working over head would be appreciated..I still have the other side to do. Other than this area�everything else had gone well�..still I do not want this crumbling down at some point�.not sure that would happen�I've been using the green lid stuff from the depot�

Comments (6)

• hendricus
    12 years ago

I've taken to using the bag mud. 45 minutes is a good choice. It sets up like concrete by chemical reaction and does not shrink like the bucket stuff. You can recoat before it dries. Just wait an hour or two and add a second layer.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Setting compound can be mixed stiffer and makes overhead work easier.

If mixed with the minimum amount of water to be workable it has very little shrinkage on hardening, unlike the premixed mud (that 'hardens' by just drying out).

Use Easysand if you are just starting with setting compound.

Durabond is so hard it cannot be effectively sanded.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

no matter what I do,when dragging the knife to try to smoooth swath....eventually it starts o rip a a line...almost like a little stone gets on the knife and starts to drag along...I think I give up.

• hendricus
    12 years ago

Thinner mud and clean/wipe the edge of the knife on every pass. Two strokes should do it. You have to use 3 or 4 knives, 4"?, 6", 9", 12". After two hours run the dry knife on the wall to get all the ridges off and do the next size.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"no matter what I do,when dragging the knife to try to smoooth swath.."

Your technique sounds bad.

The first coat for paper is just enough to make sure it completely covers the back of the tape when struck off with a 5 or 6 inch knife.

You are NOT trying to make a perfect seam, just bed the tape (above and below) and avoid large lumps, bumps, and skips.

Come back with the knife after the compound has set and shave off any significant ridges.

The next coat is applied separately to each side of the seam. The knife edge close to the middle of the seam and very close to parallel to the surface.
    The edge of the seam away from the joint should have almost no compound left at all.

After setting, a clean up with the knife of any obvious ridges.

The third coat fills in defects in the first two coats mainly, leaving a seam about 12 inches wide and very smooth (paintable smooth if you are good).

If you are not very good you may need to lightly sand, and maybe even add a fourth coat.

It takes a decent amount of hand strength to apply smooth coats with any speed.
    Going back over and over to the same area should be avoided.

Leave it alone till the next coat.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My technique is bad I agree. I got some fresh green lid stuff and things went a little better..it seamed smoother. Not sure why the 5g thing would not last a month. I have been using the 3 size knives. My biggest issue is dragging the knife over a long span...4+ feet....it rips a flowing notch. To correct, I end up taking the 12" knife and dragging it perpendicular...then its smooth but then I have ridges every 12 inches. When I go the propper way, it always starts to rip a notch. When things are going well...it leaves pinholes.