Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
installing interior framed walls

Posted by gerry422 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 9:42

I have a small basement less than 500sq ft and have layed the subfloor, Platon by Armtec. I have the concrete exterior walls insulated with styrofoam and the framing done along the exterior which is screwed into the concrete floor.
The floor slopes about 3 inches from the outside wall to the center where the drain is. I want to add 3/4 inch plywood atop the Platon subfloor and then carpet. I plan on shimming the plywood floor to level the floor. By doing this the concrete floor will have a slope but the interior floor will be level. So there will be a gap between the Platon subfloor and the plywood floor.

My question is should I lay the plywood floor first and then attach the inside wall studs to the plywood? Screwing the floor studs to the plywood not into the concrete.
Or should I install the interior wall studs from ceiling to the subfloor, ie concrete, and the plywood floor would be still shimmed until level up against these walls.

This post was edited by gerry422 on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 10:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: installing interior framed walls

inside wall studs

Assuming this refers to dividing walls for rooms, I would anchor the baseplates to the floor directly to be sure they are secure. Placing the baseplates on top of strips of 1" XPS provides a thermal break and protects them from any minor flooding.

o

If I understand you correctly, the baseplates for each interior wall should be anchored thru the 3/4 plywood all the way into the concrete. I do not know what XPS is.

o

I should have been clearer. I would anchor the baseplates to the concrete first, then add the plywood later for the reasons I mentioned above. This is not to say that this is the "right" way. XPS is the abbreviation for extruded polystyrene.

o

You might want to consider flattening the floor before doing anything else.

Shimming out a below grade floor is a PITA.
You need pressure treated shims and treated plywood also.

Despite the membrane you have to worry about condensation rotting out the wood.

" Platon creates an impermeable vapour barrier"

Here is a link that might be useful: Platon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here