Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement drywall options

Posted by samantha_ok (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 8:22

I need to drywall our new construction basement( dug a hole, cement walls, exterior barrier, internal and external drain). I am planning on putting extruded polystyrene foam on the walls then I need to cover it with drywall. I have read about the GP Dens armour product which is paperless but does anyone know if it will let any water that is in the cement walls egress through the dens armour? Or does anyone know of a drywall product that will resist mold and let the water through the drywall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement drywall options

you certainly don't want water to go through the wallboard. You could use "blue board" which is used for bathrooms however, it's a bit more per sheet than regular board. Why not put up construction plastic and then use the mold proof wall board?

o

Not direct water but condensation that will leave the cement wall and need to go somewhere rather than harbor mold. Any type of plastic barrier will not work.What is blueboard and is it water permeable?

o

Build an air gap between the drywall and the insulation.
Also remember to hold the drywall off the floor by at least an inch or so in case water ever puddles. The baseboard can cover the gap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here