Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished basement without permit

Posted by Ashley2013 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 1:52

Hi all,
I have a problem but don't know how to solve it. Hopefully, someone can walk me through. Here is my problem: I bought a house with finished basement. After I fix it up, I get a complain to the county that I do a lot of thing with out permit. When an inspector comes, I show him my work. He told me I don't need permit for my work. Three weeks later I get a call and a note from the county that the finished basement has no permit and gave me 30 days to apply for permits or will issue a violation. I told him the basement finished before I bought the house. I have pictures before and after I fix it up. He said he know but I am a owner now, it is my responsible. So I don't want to get in trouble with county, I apply for permit and show a reviewer my basement before and after. He gave me permit and tells me work out with inspectors. Instead help me correct the problem, they fail me very bad. The main problem is the ceiling height is 2" lower that minimum requirement. The stair riser at the last step is 1" lower than the other, he want me open the wall to check insulation, and want decay resistant sill plate when in contact with slab if slab is not separated by a vapor barrier. Sound like I have to tear off my basement or redo everything in order to meet building code. Otherwise I have to gut all out. It is a really nightmare. I can not sleep because of this. My question is " Can I ask a waiver from the county because the basement finished before I bought a house? " How to do and where to go to apply for that waiver. Any help is appreciate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished basement without permit

It might be time to talk to a lawyer.

o

With rare exceptions, the "finished" basements I'd run into when I was a real estate broker were abominably done and with no permits. The Vendor would place a statement in the offer that there was no warranty of legal status for use or construction.

Practices will vary by jurisdiction. But I would try for a waiver on the height and correct the other violations.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 9:46

o

Someone is hunting for increases in RE taxes.

Some places are well known for demanding darn near total tear outs for un-permitted work they discover.

They also tend to be places that revoke COs at sale, thus creating an opportunity to inspect again (without a search warrant).

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 15:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here