Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley2013_gw

Finished basement without permit

Ashley2013
10 years ago

Hi all,
I have a problem but don't know how to solve it. Hopefully, someone can walk me through. Here is my problem: I bought a house with finished basement. After I fix it up, I get a complain to the county that I do a lot of thing with out permit. When an inspector comes, I show him my work. He told me I don't need permit for my work. Three weeks later I get a call and a note from the county that the finished basement has no permit and gave me 30 days to apply for permits or will issue a violation. I told him the basement finished before I bought the house. I have pictures before and after I fix it up. He said he know but I am a owner now, it is my responsible. So I don't want to get in trouble with county, I apply for permit and show a reviewer my basement before and after. He gave me permit and tells me work out with inspectors. Instead help me correct the problem, they fail me very bad. The main problem is the ceiling height is 2" lower that minimum requirement. The stair riser at the last step is 1" lower than the other, he want me open the wall to check insulation, and want decay resistant sill plate when in contact with slab if slab is not separated by a vapor barrier. Sound like I have to tear off my basement or redo everything in order to meet building code. Otherwise I have to gut all out. It is a really nightmare. I can not sleep because of this. My question is " Can I ask a waiver from the county because the basement finished before I bought a house? " How to do and where to go to apply for that waiver. Any help is appreciate.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor